Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
I know what you’re thinking – cabbage…really? YES! These are seriously the best! I am always looking to try a new recipe, especially one in which I don’t have to completely recreate with gluten free and soy free substitutes. This is a great staple piece to rotate into your dinner menu throughout the winter months. It has great flavor and makes for a great leftover meal. This meal will take you about 2 hours in total to make between prep time and cook time. Prep time is only 25 minutes, so not bad at all!!
On a side note though, this meal is amazing as a freezer meal. What I do is double the mixture but leave out the rice until I go to use it. I simply thaw out the mixture, add the rice, and stuff some cabbage! Talk about easy!
What You’ll Need
1 medium head cabbage (about 3 lbs)
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1 can (14.5 oz) tomato sauce – divided
1 small onion
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 dill weed
1/8 cayenne pepper
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 tsp sugar
How to Make Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
1. Using a dutch oven, cook the cabbage roll in boiling water for 2-3 minutes until the leaves fall off the head. Pull 12 or so large leaves for rolls and cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a v-shape. Set aside the remaining cabbage.
2. In a bowl, combine the beef, pork, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, onion, rice, parsley and seasonings. Place about 1/4 cup of the meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides and roll up completely enclosing the filling.
3. Slice the remaining cabbage and place on the bottom of the dutch oven. Arrange all stuffed cabbage rolls seam side down over the slice cabbage.
4. Combine tomatoes, sugar and remaining tomato sauce, and pour over rolls.
5. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours.
Dinner is Served!
I love to pair this meal with mashed potatoes…because seriously…what could possibly go better? Mashed potatoes goes with everything and you can’t tell me otherwise! I hope you enjoy this yummy recipe and come back to let me know what you think! This is a great meal to have guests over. It’s fairly quick besides the cooking time, inexpensive and delicious!
This recipe is an adaptation The Taste of Home Cookbook – Cooks Who Care Edition, and I can’t recommend this cookbook enough!
Don’t forget to check out the rest of my recipes and to subscribe to my blog to keep up with future posts! General Tao Chicken, Gluten Free Meatballs and French Onion Soup are among my favorite dinner items!